Setting up Outlook Express to filter mail using the header information added by the SpamAssassin service involves using the program's 'Rules Wizard' to create a filter which selects messages based on the contents of the message body added by the SpamAssassin service, then moves the messages to a special folder. This folder can be created using the Wizard, and does not need to have been created in advance.
- Select Mail from
Outlook Express' Tools --> Message Rules menu
- If you don't have any existing rules a new rule will start automatically, otherwise under the Mail tab, click on
the New button.
- Under Select the Conditions for your rule scroll down to Where the message body contains specific words and tick its checkbox.
- Click on contains specific words under Rule
description (bottom half of window) to open a window to enter
the search text.
- In the field labeled Type specific words or a phrase enter
It is important that you type this phrase exactly.
- Click Add.
- Then click OK on the Type Specific Words window
- Back under Select the Conditions for your rule tick the checkbox next to Where the message has an attachment.
- Under Select the Actions for your rule, tick the checkbox next to Move it to the specified folder.
- Click on specified folder under Rule
description (bottom half of window) to open a window to
specify the folder spam mail should be moved to.
- Select either an existing folder or click New Folder to create a new folder. Type in a name such as Spam, and press OK.
- Under Name of the rule rename it to Spam Filter and press OK
- Click OK at the bottom of Message Rules to apply your new spam filter.